Recipe of the Day is…… PAV BHAJII
bhaji is a dish from maharashtrian cuisine specially it is very famous
as mumbai street food. Now, It is famous in all metroplitan area in
india.As we all know PAV means Bread and BHAJI means vegetable gravy.It
is said that the origin of the dish is traced to workers in Mumbai.
Though i love all the chaats but pavbhaji is the dish which makes me crazy. yuuuuhuuuuuuuu mouthwatering recipe..
well, the preparation varies greatly as it is fastfood dish to be prepared quickly.There are some variations like Cheese Pav Bhaji,Paneer Pav Bhaji,Mushroom Pav Bhaji,Khada Pav Bhaji, (‘खडा’),Jain Pav Bhaji, replacing the potatoes with plantain, as the Jains do not eat potatoes. Onion and garlic is not added either.
- Boiled veggies (potatoes,brinjal,Gobi/Cauliflower)- 2 cups
- Tomato,chopped – 2 medium size
- Onion,chopped – 1 medium size
- Ginger,Chili,Garlic paste – 3 tbsp
- Everest pavbhaji masala – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 5-6 tbsp approx
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Capsicum ,chopped – 1 small size
- Matar – 1/2 cup
- Pav / Bread – 4-8
- Butter – for roasting pav or bread
- Coriander – for garnishing
- Onion, chopped – 1 small size
- lemon wedges – 4
- First mashed all boiled veggies and keep it aside.
- Now, heat 3 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter in deep pan.
- Add Ginger,chili garlic paste and chopped onions.Saute it until onions are transperent.
- Now, add capsicum and matar(CheckOut My Frozen Matar tutorial) to and mix them well.
- Cook for a 3 mins.
- After that add tomatoes,salt,turmeric powder,chili powder,1 tbsp pavbhaji masala and mix them well.
- Cook tomatoes very well.
- After that add boiled and mashed veggies and mix them well.
- Now again cook this mixture for 10 mins approx on medium flame.
- once the oil is hot enough add Kashmiri redchili powder and pour this mixture on pavbhaji.
- Mix them well and sprinkle some pavbhaji masala and coriander, Cover immediately with lid.
- Serve hot with Pav,onions and lemon wedges.
Method for pav:
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
- I use frozen matar here it requires less time to cook as compare to fresh matter.however you can use fresh matter.
- Check the step 9 . here i follow my mommy’s method .This step is just to give bright red color to pavbhaji. however you can avoid.